Last week, I had the privilege to present my ASB Girl Boss Style Tips, to an amazing group of women entrepreneurs. The lunch presentation included a lively discussion on Every Girl Wardrobe Must-Haves, Accessories and Fall Trends – all of which I will be sharing over the next few weeks here on AskSuzanneBell.com. Point is, while prepping for my presentation, I may have wandered off into the berries on the big web; spending a few hours catching up on my favorite blogs, Pinterest, fall trends and of course where to find the FW18 Trends for less.
First, Let’s Recap a Few FW18 Trends
- Color: Mustard yellow. Yes, many of us can’t wear yellow by our face. Perhaps consider a splash of this sunny fresh color in a print or stripe, handbag or shoe. Either way, mustard looks new! Also look for blush pink to rose tones (easier to wear). Burgundy and red tones continue along with rust. And don’t forget green, aubergine, tan and chocolate.
- Fabrications: Velvet, crushed velvet and yes, Ponte is making a comeback! It’s stretchy and comfortable, so why not? Look for glen plaid, houndstooth and herringbone in outwear in beyond.
- Patterns: Stripes, color blocking, plaids and florals that are straight forward and not ‘overly pretty’
- Shoes: Ankle boots, interesting heels, block heels with a twist, mules, slides and WHITE! Yes, White! A big bang for your buck could be a white, kitten heel bootie…just think about it, before you say no. Maryjane straps in pumps and flats are easy to wear. The “new” bootie has a “v” shape in front and hits at the most flattering point on your ankle. It’s a new shape, it’s everywhere, and goes with everything!! Sneakers are still going strong and cuter than ever.
- Dresses and jumpsuits in midi lengths look fresh and new. Also look for wraps and shirt dress styles in new fall prints and stripes.
- Tops: Tie front and wrap details. The sleeve game continues, moving to the wrist with banded, button, cutout and ruffle details. I think BLOUSON sleeve will be big!
- Pants and jeans: Cropped styles remain strong, as shoes remain the accessory to show off! Wide legs will compliment this seasons sweater game as will the high waist in all bottoms. Raw hems and interesting hem details continue.
- Long and Lean: Now this is a trend I can get excited about. My friends often ask exactly how many long cardigans and toppers I own. My answer, never enough! I love the look of a long cardigan over a simple tee, pair of jeans and booties – it’s been my go-to for years. Paired with a lean and long maxi dress, it’s perfect transitional uniform. I am thrilled at all the options available to me this season! Yes, I’ll be stocking up…
- Outerwear: Top coats look fab for fall in pops of color! As well as in glen plaid, houndstooth and herringbone.
- 80’s Are Back! Not sure if I can go back, but it deserves a mention for those of you who love padded bold shoulders, and black leather – perhaps with skinny jeans. And for those of you who loved your sequins – this is your season. For day or night, sparkle and shine will be a plenty! Remember Doc Martens? Combat Boots and Lug Soles are back and look fab with wide leg crop jean styles.
Time To Switch Things Up
The change of seasons is the perfect time to analyze your own wardrobe, and I would start with what’s hanging right in front of you. Pack up true summer pieces and bring out your fall sweaters, boots, jeans, jackets etc and re-organize your closet. NOW, take a look at what’s missing. Are there any new trends you’d like to add to your closet?
What’s On My List For Fall
- Print pieces with mustard yellow and blush pink.
- A rust color blouse
- A pair of Wide Leg Crop Jeans
- Long Cashmere Cardigan in Taupe, Black and Pattern (this is my favorite trend for FW18)
- Lug Sole Combat Style Boot. Like THIS or THESE ($39.99!)
- A pair of black or olive green joggers
- White layering tunic to wear under sweaters and jackets. Loving THIS one from Zara.
- Low heel calf hair animal print pump
- Sock bootie with a low heel (maybe)
- Plaid boyfriend blazer. THIS one is fun for under $50!
Fall Pieces At Fab Prices
Armed with my list, I hit the mall this past weekend with my power shopping mom. We visited H&M, Madewell, Free People, Anthropologie and Artizia. I pretty much struck out till I hit H&M. And let me tell you, if you want to pick up a few trends for waaaay less, you may want to pay them a visit! I thought the sweater selection was amazing (HERE FOR ALL SWEATERS). You have probably seen THIS $19.99 v-neck on other blogs or IG – it’s such a deal and comes in 6 colors! AND THIS off the shoulder in pale blush pink at $14.99. When I got home I hit the web, which was where I found a few finds at ZARA (below). Target has some great finds (more on that coming soon) and Nordstrom has re-marked many of their Anniversary Sale favorites to up to 60% off! I just ordered THIS pair of jeans as well as THIS pair, so stay tuned to see if either work out for me!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As always, all selections and opinions are my own.
Look for Less!
PRADA Lug Sole Ankle Boot (HERE)| H&M Lug Sole Ankle Boot, $39.99 (HERE) | H&M Ankle Boot, $34.99 (HERE)
Asymmetrical Lace Tunic | ZARA (HERE)
Special Edition Jacquard Coat, available in 2 colors | ZARA (HERE)
Fall Finds on Sale at Nordstrom
(If you are on a mobile device, swipe left for all 18 picks. To connect to details at Nordstrom.com, click any photo)
How I Wore The Trend: Blouson Sleeve & Mustard
Here’s a look at how I incorporated my new H&M mustard color tie front top (LOVE the blouson sleeve detail) using pieces found in my closet, for a transitional fall look under $20.00. This top is not yet available to link, but there were many in the store over the weekend.
What’s on your list? Have you began to shop for the FW18 Season? Is there a piece or trend you can’t wait to add to your wardrobe?
Drop us a line down below and join the discussion!
Real Estate Update!
Every wonder what $2,595,000 gets you in the heart of Silicon Valley? Take a tour of our most recent listing here in Los Altos, California by CLICKING THIS LINK for the home video tour!
LET’S GET SOCIAL! Do you follow AskSuzanneBell on Facebook? I invite you to join the fun by following my Facebook Page @AskSuzanne (HERE). You will find I post daily to Facebook, often sharing on topics not covered here on the blog.
You will also find me on Instagram (HERE), Twitter (HERE), Pinterest (HERE), Bloglovin and now You Tube (HERE). Where I Link Up with women around the globe! Not Dressed As a Lamb (Saturday/Monday) / Fashion Should Be Fun and Sharing a Journey (Friday) / Visible Monday (Monday)/ Elegantly Dressed and Stylish (Tues) /MummaBStylish (Thursdays)
I bought that mustard blouse. The fabric is just the righT weight plus the Style is so versatile. Great find !
I think it is a good one, I really like mine and you can wear it rucked in or out! Bonus!
Beautiful color and the skirt is fantastic! Fabulous combination.
Thank you Nancy, I am loving mustard yellow right now…AND rust! Bring on fall!
Maria | passion fruit, paws and peonies says
So much great style advise! I love the sleeves of your mustard top Suzanne. I’m loving the long cardigan trend too!! xx
Hi Maria! Thanks for the kind words. The sleeves are what got me on this top, and of course the color. And I am ALL about the long cardigan right now..I need to be careful to not go over board, Its my favorite piece to layer on!