Hoping for visions of sugarplums I awoke to find this dancing in my head:
Eeek! It’s only December 5th!
It’s supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year, but we over-book, over-do and stretch ourselves thin during what should be a season of joy and celebration – then we crash and feel like we can’t get up. But, we don’t have to.
I recently had the pleasure of attending an event with the fabulous Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa who currently is on tour promoting her latest cookbook, Make it Ahead HERE. In her new book, Ina shares tips on what can be done ahead in order to avoid scrambling at your own party in attempt to get everything out onto the table at the right moment. We’ve all been there, it’s no fun! I loved her simple message; with a little planning we can really enjoy ourselves and be in the moment.
Ladies, us mom’s can enjoy the holidays as much as everyone else! I suggest planning out what holiday events you are going to attend (it’s Ok to say no to some), schedule in some fun stuff for the kids along with all their regular day-to-day flurry of activities; then go ahead and carve some time out for yourself.
Mom-time, it matters. Oprah would be proud.
Here are a few things I will be scheduling in for mom this month.
- Days and time to work out. This can be a bootcamp, yoga class, a hike with friends or a walk around the neighborhood. Do what you love to do; they key is to take time to care for yourself. Stick to the plan, you’ll feel refreshed and have new perspective!
- A manicure/pedicure a few days prior to up coming events, one less thing to worry about.
- An appointment early in the season with my hair stylist for cut and color.
- A blow out on days when I need a ‘do and know I won’t have the time for hassling with my hair, money well spent. Aside from your hair looking awesome the night of the event it should last for a few days afterward. Chilling in the chair while someone pampers you is pretty nice too!
- Coffee, lunch or a movie with girlfriends; plan some girl-time.
- Set aside an hour to evaluate your closet and plan out outfits for upcoming events. Why? It saves valuable time and last minute running around prior to an event. Select accessories and any shapewear that may be needed to pull your outfit together.
- Once I plan out a few outfits I check to see if anything is in need of cleaning, alteration or repair. Avoid pulling out last years LBD an hour prior to an event to find it has crab cake stuck to it or the zipper is split! Or your favorite party shoe is missing a heel tap. Uh Oh!
Here’s few things in my arsenal for emergencies:
- If you have not had your make-up done recently, make a list of what you need and schedule a time with a makeup artist at your local department store. Most stores offer this as a free service, ask to be sure. During the holidays, many stores offer events that include a gift or purchase with purchase during your visit. You’ll get the latest tips on doing your own makeup and replenish that lipstick that is out of date.
As simple as this all sounds, it’s easy to lose ourselves during the holidays in attempt to make everyone else happy. By taking care of ourselves we will be more ready to enjoy a stress free holiday season and enjoy each moment of this special time of the year!
So in order to practice what I preach, I made a shift in my day today.
After spending the evening cramming to order our holiday cards on Shutterfly and update my mailing list, at 10pm I sent this text to my girlfriend who I was planning to go to yoga with,
However, after waking up to the collage at the top of this post, I made a shift, deciding out of the next 24 hours I could give myself and hour and 15 minutes to get my groove back!
and go from this
The sugarplums are dancing.
With a clear head, I can now share some fantastic deals with you!
Love these but not the price tag?
All of the boots below are currently on promo, buy one get one 1/2 off and free ship!
“Kallima” HERE in 4 colors| $39.99, all are currently on promo now buy one get one 1/2 off and free ship!
My daughter is wearing the Chestnut color. We did size up in these. She wears a 7 in Ugg but we went with an 8 in these.
Women’s “Kamar” HERE in 5 colors| $34.99
Women’s “Kamryn” HERE in 2 colors| $34.99
Looks like Sam Edelman! Sam and Libby “Olivia” HERE
Need gifts for the kids, be sure to check out the ASB gift guide HERE
If you have more time to read and want a laugh this weekend, check out “This Is What Happens When You Order Ridiculously Cheap Clothing From Singapore”, via the Huffington Post by Lindsay Ferrier, author of Suburban Turmoil HERE.
Happy Holidays fabulous ladies!
If you would like to receive Ask Suzanne Bell in your inbox weekly, subscribe on my home page in the upper top right box. Subscribers will receive a bi-weekly updates in their inbox with links to my current postings on Wednesday and Saturday. Be sure to like ASB on Facebook to receive updates thoughout the week on sales, hot items and more! You can also check me out and follow me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram for inspiration on design, home, fashion, tweens and more! Just click though the links on the home page to be directed to the site of your choice to follow.