I feel my most authentic self when I’m wearing a Bohemian styled look. But, as many of us know, a laid-back eclectic layered look can be tricky to pull off without looking to overly elaborate or costumey. Celebrities like Kate Moss, Sienna Miller and Rachel Zoe, make boho chic appear effortless. When in reality, there is nothing effortless about it. Achieving a bohemian vibe takes practice and patience.
The great news is, because of the eclectic nature of the style, most of us can pull this style together with items found in our closet, or by adding a few curated pieces to what we already own. And, the 2nd hand market, consignment shops, sites like ThreadUp, along with marketplaces like Etsy, are full of quirky, fun, and very affordable elements to add to your look – once you know what you are looking for.
Mindful layering is essential in achieving the bohemian look, and although it may look as though you can just throw a few items of differing lengths together to achieve a great style, overdoing the layers is where many of us can get off track.
Consider the overall effect of the layering. The eye should be drawn to your face as your central feature, so don’t ‘overload’ the look towards the ground. Aim for a layered effect which emphasises your face first and then travels through the rest of your body.
Do the layers flatter your frame or draw attention to less attractive parts? Use the layers to sweep around your body and disguise areas such as wide hips or imposing shoulders (or in my case, narrow shoulders and an undefined waist). And remember that unbridled layering can make you look larger, rather than outlining your natural curves, so think about cinching your waist with a belt, as shown below, or try pulling a scarf through your belt loops for added interest, pattern, and to define your waist.
Hobo vs Boho
- Avoid adding too many elements or items that don’t work in harmony
- Be mindful of too many or heavy layers; which can add bulk
- Remember to dress for YOUR body type
- Avoid letting the outfit ‘wear you”. Balance fullness with a fitted piece like a jacket or belt.
I’m always on the look out for ethnic designs crafted from leather, shells, wooden beads and woven threads for added interest. I love to mix and match layered necklaces and multiple bangles to add to the entire layered look. Finish off your look with a big leather hobo (loving THIS one!), basket bags, or crossbody in a beautiful leather or a woven global print.
For affordable eclectic pieces, check out Karine Sultan at Nordstrom (HERE)
Browse More Boho Inspired Accessories
Smile and don’t forget your sunnies!
10 Key Elements For Creating a Bohemian Outfit
- Earthy Accents: fringe, crochet, faux fur, embroidery
- A solid base layer in a linen tee, tank top, bodysuit, or bralette
- Whimsical floral and modern the dye prints like (THIS) tunic @OldNavy, or (THIS) kimono @ Anthropologie
- Crop jacket (denim, leather, linen, etc) will add definition and “control” to billowy pieces
- Luxe Fabrics: velvet, satin, silk
- Denim: flared, bootcut or distressed styles
- Tiered or gypsy skirts: loving THIS reversible maxi skirt from Farm Rio)
- Flowy maxi dresses: browse Farm Rio (HERE)
- Accessories: felt or straw rancher or fedora hat, layered necklaces, bangles, statement sunglasses, scarves and belts
- Clogs, Ankle Boots (opt for a pointy toe with flare jeans), Earthy Sandals, Birkenstocks, Uggs (winter), Roman Sandals
Shop the Post
Follow “My Style” Board on Pinterest (HERE)- my spot for bohemian style inspiration, from the web and blogosphere.
For a daily dose of Bohemian Inspiration, check out these Website/Instagram Accounts:
- Tamera Beardsley @TameraBeardsley
- Valerie Lee Ferrari @ChateauBelage
- LaMoumous https://www.lamoumous.com
- Justina Blakeley @TheJungalow
- Jennafer Grace @JennaferGracious
- La Contessa @contessa_and_her_pig
- Arielle DeFatta @PourStyles
- Lucy @lucybertoli
- Suzanne Carillo @http://suzannecarillo.com
Are you drawn to a Bohemian style vibe? How do you go about pulling together a cohesive Boho Look? Drop us a line down below, we’d love to hear what you have to say or any style tips you might have. Have a fabulous weekend ladies!
So true. So easy to look cluttered when I am going for boho chic. This is my fave look and I think it is ageless and timeless. Good tips on the layering. I like the comfort , cozy part of boho. Thx
You know me, I love a great boho chic outfit. I think you have the art of layering eclectic, beautiful pieces together with ease! And you are right, cluttered is probably not the look we’re really after when trying to pull together a cool and comfy look! xx Suzanne
Gwen Gottlieb says
I love Boho but not sure if it loves me, lol. You have layering mastered and wear the look so well!
Hi Gwen! I have to say, pulling this style off is not as easy as it looks – it takes practice and a lot of trial and error. Many a time I’ve left my house in something, only to look in a window or mirror and say to myself, “what was I thinking”..LOL! Play around with it a bit and create a look all of your own if you’d like. The great thing about Bohemian Style is that there are no rules – that’s what makes it so unique!
Hobo vs boho lol! I love every single one of your looks! I do like boho style a lot!