Would you ever wear leopard print and a wild 60’s inspired print together? What about a camouflage print with stripes? Have you thought about pairing Tie Dye with paisley? Sounds fun, but not sure where to begin? In today’s Live From My Closet Tutorial, I dig into my own closet and walk you through how to remix items you already own along with sharing a few helpful tips on how to style unexpected patterns together with ease.
Pattern Mix Like a Pro!
- Stick with the same color family. Even though my pant reads mostly purple, I focused on the gold, which is repeated in the leopard print – the gold color is what made the outfit comet together with ease.
- Pick two prints that share a common color. The purple in my top is the same purple as in the palazzo pant. You can create new outfits with ease by simply looking for prints that share a common color.
- Treat stripes and leopard print as a neutral.
- Pair bold prints with bold prints, neutral prints with neutral prints – otherwise the bold print will overwhelm your neutral print.
- Size matters. Pick the print you want to focus on and start there. For example, let’s say you’re going with a statement floral dress. This pattern should be the biggest, and all others (i.e. on your jacket, belt, cardigan) should be smaller in size.
Where To Shop For Boho Pieces:
I would describe my style as somewhere between Elegant Bohemian and California Casual. I gravitate toward wild and intricate patterns + exotic textures. I like pieces that are free form and layer beautifully together. Think less hippie, more gypsy with chains, fringes, and other eye-catching accessories. Since my style is eclectic, I shop by style, not brand or label. However, when I am thrifting online, I always search by brand first – otherwise the process is just too overwhelming,
Here’s a list of my top go-to brands for boho pieces.
- Calypso St. Barth
- Jennafer Grace
- Plenty by Tracy Reese
- Hale Bob
- Johnny Was
- St. Jazmin Sarongs
- Chateau Bel Age
- Patterson Kinkaid
- Elizabeth and James
- Tory Burch
- Free People
- Chan Luu
- Yumi Kim
Discover more about your personal style and shopping your closet by visiting my 5 Step Wardrobe Re-Boot Post (HERE).
Did you find today’s tutorial helpful? Are you inspired to dig into your closet and try some new combinations? Are there other tutorials you’d like to see here on AskSuzanneBell.com? I’d love to hear your thoughts – comments go down below! Thanks for stopping by my little space here on the web today. Have a fabulous week ladies! xx
LET’S GET SOCIAL!
Follow AskSuzanneBell on Facebook and stay up to date on all the happenings between posts! I invite you to join the fun by following my Facebook Page @AskSuzanne (HERE). You will find I post daily to Facebook, often sharing on topics not covered here on the blog.