The story’s the same. I lie wide awake in bed, a long list burning in my head. So alert, you would have thought I’d had 10 cups of coffee. Only thing to do was to get up, and write it all down. It’s not even December.
Over-booked, over-done, and stretched so thin, during what should be a season of joy and celebration – sound familiar?
Is it possible, to stay sane and enjoy the beauty of the holiday season?
A few years ago, I attended an event with the Barefoot Contessa herself promoting her cookbook, Make it Ahead. A big take away for me were Ina’s do-it-ahead tips to avoid scrambling at your own party. We’ve all been there and it’s no fun! Her simple message has stuck with me since; with a little planning we can really enjoy ourselves and be in the moment, even during the busiest of times.
I’m a firm believer with a little planning, us moms can enjoy the holiday season as much as everyone else! Start by planning out what holiday events you are going to attend (and it IS OK to say no to a few), schedule in some fun stuff for the kids that you can enjoy as a family together, then go ahead and carve out some time for yourself.
Mom-time, it matters…Oprah would be proud.
So last night I made a list; a list of the must-do’s, and a list of what I’d like to do for me. If I don’t schedule, it won’t happen, plain and simple. On the busiest of weeks, I even schedule “take a shower” into my day, or it does not happen. And even then, it doesn’t happen every day – and that’s OK to.
How I Make Time for Me
- Days and times to exercise. This can be a bootcamp, yoga class, a hike with friends or a walk with your furry friend around the neighborhood. What do you love to do? Number one, take time to care for yourself. Stick with the plan, I promise you’ll feel refreshed with new perspective!
- Schedule a manicure/pedicure a few days prior to up coming events, it’s one less thing to worry about.
- Set an appointment early in the season with your hair stylist, for cut and color, if needed.
- I treat myself to a blow out on days when I need a ‘do, and know I won’t have the time to hassle with my hair. It’s a gift to myself. Aside from your hair looking awesome the day/night of the event, with a little care and some dry shampoo, your hair should be good a few days afterward. Plus, chilling in the chair while someone pampers you, is pretty nice too. See me walk the talk in 5 Day Holiday Blowout Challenge (HERE).
- Plan some girl time; Coffee, lunch a movie…anyone seen Bad Mom’s Christmas? Or meet your friends for breakfast one morning.
- Super Important (since this is a Style Blog after all!): Save valuable time and last minute running around in traffic, by scheduling an hour to evaluate your closet and plan out your outfits for upcoming events. AskSuzanne Party Checklist: Does your outfit need dry cleaning? Maybe a repair? Does it still fit like you remember? Do you still like it? Is your favorite party shoe missing a heel tap? Select accessories, and shapewear that may be required in order to pull your outfit together. Read and view all about my new favorite shapewear and why less is more in Style Solutions: Feel Confident & Fabulous During the Holiday Season (HERE)
- When is the last time you had your make-up done? Make a list of what you need and schedule a time with a makeup artist at your local department store or Sephora. Many stores offer complimentary makeovers or Complimentary with a purchase, but ask to be sure. During the holidays, many stores offer events that include a gift or purchase with purchase during your visit. Win-Win: Get the latest tips on makeup application, replenish that lipstick that is out of date, relax and enjoy an hour of peace and quiet while sipping on a Holiday Spice Latte -doesn’t that sound fabulous?
In attempt to make everyone else happy, it’s easy to lose ourselves during the holidays. By taking care of ourselves, we can enjoy a stress free holiday season and enjoy each moment of this special time of the year!
Today’s Walk the Talk
A crisp morning walk with the pup left both she and I energized. Sunday’s grocery delivery (I love Instacart Grocery Delivery!) left me with ingredients to assemble the crockpot chili in 10 minutes for dinner. Bonus, make extra and have enough for leftovers for the lunch box tomorrow. (recipe HERE). Lunch with a dear pal. Post-work mani/pedi – nails check! Delivered the kids where they needed to be and back. Dished up the chili for a family dinner together. Leaving enough time to put together this post and relax with the family catching up on Stranger Things. Ahhh….
How to you stay sane during the Holidays? Do you feel like it’s already December 20th? Do overcommit, or are you good at saying “no” to a few things? Do you self-care, when things get a little crazy?
Drop comments down below, I love hearing from you!
Here’s to a Fabulous Holiday Season!
Let’s Get Social and Don’t miss a Post!
You can find me on Instagram (HERE), Facebook (HERE)…be sure to hit that “like” button, you know you want to, so just do it, or Facebook won’t share! Twitter (HERE), Pinterest (HERE), Bloglovin and now You Tube (HERE)
Where I Link Up! Not Dressed As a Lamb| Fashion Should Be Fun| My Refined Style| Sheela Writes | Style Stories |Visible Monday|40 Plus Style | Style Me Wednesday | On the Edge | PinkSole | Posh Classy Mom Midweek Inspo Linkup | Top of the World Style Link Up Party @HighLatitudeStyle | sincerelyjennamarie
Are you or anyone you know looking to buy or sell a home? If so, please consider me a resource for your real estate needs. I can be reached by CLICKING HERE.
I invite you to follow me in My Life Outside the Closet on Facebook (HERE) where I partner up with my husband and business partner Rick Bell in the world of Silicon Valley Real Estate! And don’t forget to hit that little ‘Like’ button for our real estate updates!