It’s six o’clock, the fun starts tonight at seven and you’re just now blowing in the door from work, running kids around or both. You need a quick outfit change. You walk into your closet and beg for it to give you some inspiration. Come on, talk to me! Crickets, nothing, zip, nada. Anxiety sets in, clothes start flying off the hangers, NOTHING LOOKS RIGHT! Meanwhile the clock is ticking. You still need to touch up, at a minimum tease your ponytail.
This past weekend, with a closet full of clothes staring back at me, I found myself drawing a blank over what to wear to my husband’s high school reunion. I know, shocking, as I love to dress for a party. The dilemma was; I had not been to this venue before and had no one to call and see what others were wearing. On the invite, a description for attire was not given. The dress I planned to wear-too dressy. Venue was a bar/gallery, the cute tunic sweater and boots outfit-nope, too sweaty. Blue jeans-maybe to casual. The funky Rachel Zoe style outfit I loved my hubbie didn’t get it, now what?
Whether it’s date night, girls night out or a festive party at the home of friends, you have a fun get-together coming up. Now, what do you wear?
We all need an easy go -to uniform for these types of events. In the end I decided my best bet was to wear my skinny black coated jeans, a fun dressy top, booties, some great jewelry and a leather jacket for when it cooled off. Easy and perfect combo of style and comfort, why did it take me so long to get there?
Pick on outfit you feel great and are comfortable in so you can enjoy the upcoming event without the stress of what to wear. And remember; always better to err on the side of overdressed than underdressed. Yes, I have some thoughts and am here to guide you!
Since skinny jeans are still on the top of most everyone’s list for jean of choice we will work with those for today. You can easily swap out the bottom of these looks for a dressy flare jean, straight leg jean or ponte pant.
- Tops. I selected loose fitting tops; some knit some rayon or silk. What I like about most of these tops is they are longer in the back than the front. This allows a bit of coverage in the rear (but not too much) and draping in the front, which is flattering on most. I think these all allow some freedom of movement. I think we can agree that we all have more fun when we are comfortable and can move with ease.
- Shoes. I picked the bootie. I love them, that’s why! You pick the height and amount of edginess you are comfortable in. A fun pump would work as well or a ballet flat if you can’t do heels.
- Top layer. This can be a leather jacket, long black cardigan or jacket; for example a velvet or furry jacket is fun for the holidays.
- Bling. I love long pendants and chains to add evening drama. A large watch is fun as well! Pile on your choice of arm candy and off you go!
- Handbag. Yes, you will need a bag for your lipstick, some cash and phone at a minimum. I love the new chain cross body styles for evening. They add pizzazz and you are hands free. A fun clutch always works great too. Consider leaving the big bag at home.
First some inspiration
Arm Candy! For all links and prices click HERE for the full Polyvore set.
Gold Cuff on left is an amazing value for $25 HERE | leopard cuff is $30! HERE
Now let’s put it all together for a fun night out!
One more set of fun options!
Easy, right? You’ll look and feel fabulous! Get your own go-to combo going and you may even have time to touch up the makeup and chat with the little ones before heading out the door relaxed and ready for some fun!
Be sure to check back on part two of this four part series, Let’s Go Out! We’ll be talking outfits for when the venue calls for something a bit more casual.
Some great sales going on now! Most items above are from Bloomingdales and Nordstrom that are both having fantastics sales!
Bloomingdales Friends and Family is on now thru 11/16, use promo code ‘holiday’ HERE
Boden diminishing discount sale going on now HERE with free shipping and returns
If you would like to receive Ask Suzanne Bell in your inbox weekly, subscribe on my home page in the upper top right box. Subscribers will receive a bi-weekly updates in their inbox with links to my current postings on Wednesday and Saturday. Like me on Facebook to receive updates thoughout the week on sales, hot items and more! You can also check me out and follow me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram for inspiration on design, home, fashion, tweens and more! Just click though the links on the home page to be directed to the site of your choice to follow.
Lynn bell says
Wow, what a fabulous article. It covers it all. I do not like
having to change 3-4 times because I cannot decide.
Your tips are super, thanks so much.
Hi Lynn! I hear you! I was a hot mess last weekend with clothes flying everywhere because I couldn’t get it come together! I knew there had to be an easier way and once I sorted it all out in my head, I had to share! Thanks for stopping by! XO