With the the crew sound asleep, I lie awake in bed, a long list burning in my head. So alert, you would have thought I’d had 10 cups of coffee. Only thing to do was to get up, and write it all down. It’s not even December.
The most wonderful time of the year, and we over-book, over-do, and stretch ourselves so thin, during what should be a season of joy and celebration – then we crash and feel like we can’t get up.
Is it possible, to stay sane and enjoy the beauty of the holiday season?
I love Ina Garten, AKA Barefoot Contessa. A few years ago, I attended an event where she was promoting her book, Make it Ahead, HERE. In her book, Ina shares tips on what can be done ahead, in order to avoid scrambling at your own party, in attempt to get everything out onto the table at the right moment. We’ve all been there, it’s no fun! Her simple message has stuck with me,
with a little planning we can really enjoy ourselves, and be in the moment, even during the busiest of times.
I truly believe, us mom’s can enjoy the holidays, as much as everyone else! Begin by planning out what holiday events you are going to attend (and it IS Ok to say no to a few), schedule in some fun stuff for the kids that you can all enjoy together, then go ahead and carve some time out for yourself.
Mom-time, it matters…Oprah would be proud.
So last night I made a list; a list of the must-do’s…and a list of what I need to schedule to fit in some “me time”. If I don’t schedule, it won’t happen, plain and simple. My close friends laugh, but I even schedule “take a shower” into my day or it doesn’t happen. Even then, it doesn’t happen every day.
- Days and time to work out. This can be a bootcamp, yoga class, a hike with friends or a walk around the neighborhood. Do what you love to do; they key is to take time to care for yourself. Stick to the plan, you’ll feel refreshed and have new perspective!
- Schedule a manicure/pedicure a few days prior to up coming events, you’ll have one less thing to worry about.
- Set an appointment early in the season with your hair stylist, for cut and color, if needed.
- I schedule a blow out on days when I need a ‘do, and know I won’t have the time to hassle with my hair. It’s a gift to myself. Aside from your hair looking awesome the day/night of the event, with a little care and some dry shampoo, your hair should be good a few days afterward. Plus, chilling in the chair while someone pampers you, is pretty nice too.
- Coffee, lunch or a movie with girlfriends; plan some girl-time.
- Super Important (since this is a Style Blog after all!): Set aside an hour to evaluate your closet and plan out outfits for upcoming events. Why? It saves valuable time and last minute running around prior to an event. Does your outfit need dry cleaning? Maybe a repair? Does it still fit like you remember? Is your favorite party shoe missing a heel tap? Select accessories, and any shapewear that may be required in order to pull your outfit together.
- If you have not had your make-up done recently, make a list of what you need and schedule a time with a makeup artist at your local department store. Most stores offer this as a free service, ask to be sure. During the holidays, many stores offer events that include a gift or purchase with purchase during your visit. You’ll get the latest tips on doing your own makeup, and replenish that lipstick that is out of date.
As simple as this all sounds, it’s easy to lose ourselves during the holidays, in attempt to make everyone else happy. By taking care of ourselves, we can enjoy a stress free holiday season, and enjoy each moment of this special time of the year!
A New Me Today
After spending Monday night cramming to get my order of family and business holiday cards ordered (hey it was Cyber Monday!), then a little panic attack around midnight, I choose to give myself a little “me” time to get my groove back! Starting with clocking in my steps, by walking with my son to school (not to mention he is hilarious, and we all know laughter is the best medicine!),
to a fabulous yoga class.
I picked up my list from the grocery store, and popped the chili in the crockpot (recipe HERE),
Instant dinner and enough for leftovers in the lunch box tomorrow.
Headed over for a mani/pedi,
now isn’t that better?
AND squeezed in a quick coffee with a gal pal of mine,
Maple croissants and a latte with a friend, are right up there with laughter as the best medicine!
I have to say, the rest of my routine and work for the day, came so much easier!
I even took a shower and got dressed!
All with a little planning, and a hat for the dirty hair…
Now, let’s hear what you think!
How to you stay sane during the Holidays?
Do you feel like it’s already December 20th?
Do you find you overcommit, or are you good at saying “no” to a few things?
How to you make time for self-care, when things get a little crazy?
Drop comments down below, I love hearing from you!
Here’s to a Fabulous Holiday Season!
Did you catch my leather post, featuring outfits styled up on 10 bloggers around the world?
Nothing to wear?
You may be missing a few key items!
Read my stylist secrets!
If your pants are falling down, you need to take a look at Weekend Mishmash: Style Secrets
Are you signed up for the AskSuzanneBell bi-weekly newsletter?
There’s a new post up on the website, every Tuesday and Friday evening. Sign up for my newsletter and get an update delivered straight to your inbox. I won’t spam you and you’ll never miss a post! Sign up HERE, it’s fast and easy!
You can also find me, in My Life Outside the Closet on Facebook
Where I Link Up! Not Dressed As a Lamb| Fashion Should Be Fun| My Refined Style| Sheela Writes | Style Stories |Visible Monday|40 Plus Style | Style Me Wednesday | On the Edge | PinkSole | Posh Classy Mom Midweek Inspo Linkup