If you’re like me, you’re still shopping your closet for an outfit to wear to a patio party or BBQ next weekend…simply enjoying these last few weeks of summer. But before you know it, fall will be upon us and it’s important we cover some Fall Trends – I gotta keep my friends in the know after all. So whether you enjoy shopping for that perfect piece or two to round out your fall wardrobe or replenish a few basics, I rounded up what in my mind are percolating trends, ones I believe will continue thru the fall/winter 2018 season. Don’t worry, apply another layer of sunscreen and read on – I’ve gotcha covered!
And after you browse the AskSuzanneBell list of 10 trends to watch, why not join the discussion down below and let me know your favorites! What trends are you looking to try this season? Is there a must-have piece on your list to find? What’s your favorite fall color pick?
- Color: Mustard yellow. Yes, many of us can’t wear yellow by our face. If that’s you, then don’t go head to toe. Consider a splash of this fresh color in a print or stripe – handbag or shoe. Either way, mustard looks new! Also look for blush pink to rose tones (easier to wear). Burgundy and red tones continue along with rust. And don’t forget green, aubergine, tan and chocolate.
- Fabrications: Velvet, crushed velvet and yes, Ponte is making a comeback! It’s stretchy and comfortable, so why not? Look for glen plaid, houndstooth and herringbone in outwear in beyond.
- Patterns: Stripes, color blocking, plaids and florals that are straight forward and not ‘overly pretty’
- Shoes: Ankle boots, interesting heels, block heels with a twist, mules, slides and WHITE! Maryjane straps in pumps and flats are easy to wear. The “new” bootie has a “v” shape in front and hits at the most flattering point on your ankle. It’s a new shape, it’s everywhere, and goes with everything!! Sneakers are still going strong and cuter than ever!
- Dresses and jumpsuits in midi lengths look fresh and new. Also look for wraps and shirt dress styles in new fall prints and stripes.
- Tops: Tie front and wrap details. The sleeve game continues, moving to the wrist with banded, button, cutout and ruffle details. I think BLOUSON sleeve will be big!
- Pants and jeans: Cropped styles remain strong, as shoes remain the accessory to show off! Wide legs will compliment this seasons sweater game as will the high waist in all bottoms. Raw hems and interesting hem details continue.
- Long and Lean: Now this is a trend I can get excited about. My friends often ask exactly how many long cardigans and toppers I own. My answer, never enough! I love the look of a long cardigan over a simple tee, pair of jeans and booties – it’s been my go-to for years. Paired with a lean and long maxi dress, it’s perfect transitional uniform. I am thrilled at all the options available to me this season! Yes, I’ll be stocking up…
- Outerwear: Top coats look fab for fall in pops of color! As well as in glen plaid, houndstooth and herringbone.
- 80’s Are Back! Not sure if I can go back, but it deserves a mention for those of you who love padded bold shoulders, and black leather – perhaps with skinny jeans. And for those of you who loved your sequins – this is your season. For day or night, sparkle and shine will be a plenty! I’ll be following y’all on instagram while I stay in the 70’s myself 🙂
What new trends are you looking to try this season? Is there a must-have piece on your list to find? What’s your favorite fall color pick?
Me? Mustard Yellow! I love it. Here’s a look at how I worked a little mustard yellow into my wear now summer wardrobe this week with the Love Chunky Crop Sweater from Free People (now on sale in 2 colors at Nordstrom Rack!) (HERE). I’m certainly not ready for summer to end, but introducing a little fall color into my summer wardrobe feels refreshing and new…
NEW POST on RickandSuzanneBell.com!
We are often asked about the process and economics associated with purchasing a property for the purpose of tearing down the existing structure and building a new home. As there are virtually no remaining vacant lots in Los Altos, this will most often include the demolition of an existing structure. For today’s article, we have selected 3 recent Los Altos sales where the buyer may have purchased the property for the purpose of tearing down the existing structure and intends to rebuild a new single family home. Read more on the Anatomy of a Los Altos Tear Down by linking over to RickandSuzanneBell.com (HERE).
LET’S GET SOCIAL! Do you follow AskSuzanneBell on Facebook? I invite you to join the fun by following my Facebook Page @AskSuzanne (HERE). You will find I post daily to Facebook, often sharing on topics not covered here on the blog.
You will also find me on Instagram (HERE), Twitter (HERE), Pinterest (HERE), Bloglovin and now You Tube (HERE). Where I Link Up with women around the globe! Not Dressed As a Lamb (Saturday/Monday) / Fashion Should Be Fun and Sharing a Journey (Friday) / Visible Monday (Monday)/ Elegantly Dressed and Stylish (Tues) /MummaBStylish (Thursdays)
I def think the 80s are back!
that’s what they say! I love the music, not sure how much of the fashion…that said, I love admiring it on others!!
Nancy Baten says
I loved the 80 s??? and all the trends. Well, not all of them! Have a great weekend!
I LOVED the 80’s AND the music…not sure I can re-live the trends…I went full in the first time around. I worked in fashion retail and owned more pink, sparkle, leather and neon than I care to recall, LOL! 🙂
Pamela Taft says
I discovered Ponte fabric 3 years ago… so forgiving!
Loved reading about Anatomy of a Los Altos tear down… fascinating!
Love, Pamela Taft
Oh Pamela, I do love ponte! My favorite LBD is a ponte sheath, I wear it for work ALL the time and all year round. And aren’t ponte pants the BEST? Happy to hear you loved reading the Anatomy article. Rick and I had fun putting it all together..a different look at things…Happy Saturday! 🙂
Fun roundup of fall trends! I don’t know if I can relive the 80s, but it sure will be fun to see the trend on others! 😉
I am with you, love the music – the best! But I will be watching the 80’s resurgence from IG! Thanks for dropping by Andrea! Hope you had a fabulous summer!
The eighties were a fun time so bringing back their vibrant fashion is okay with me. And yellow is an attractive, under-used color. Nice post!
Freya Hooper says
The eighties – just no. But I did invest in some animal print pants. Wish they had been zebra because I think that it going to pop this season, but couldn’t find ones I liked. We’ll see if I’m on point or not … ha!
you managed to rock that mustard free people sweater! thanks for the rundown, angie – http://www.yourtrueselfblog.com
Thank you Angie! I got mixed reviews on the sweater, some a thumbs up – others thought a bit to boho..I love the color and the styling is flattering I think. Hey, wear what we love, right? Thank you for your kind words and dropping me a line! xx Suzanne