Is dressing for the fall/winter season a challenge? Think about it, once you get past the legging+tall boot+tunic sweater uniform, it does take some effort to pull it all together. This month we’ve been talking about the importance of having a few everyday “uniforms” in our closets – to help get us out the door in style each day. If you missed Friday’s post, Out the Door with Panache with 5 Effortless Uniform Ideas, you can get caught up (HERE).
What I heard overwhelmingly, is many of you feel you lack the basic pieces necessary to create everyday looks with ease. Think of it like baking a cake. Step one is to bake a yummy cake with quality ingredients before you frost and decorate. Sprinkles are fun and colorful, but without a delicious vanilla cake, sprinkles have no where to land. The same goes for outfit formation. You need quality basics before you can add the trend pieces or accessories. Many of us have more sprinkles than cake, therefore coming up short on looks to wear each day. A closet full of clothing yet with nothing to wear can be a sign of too many sprinkles, or we need a few blank canvas’, for the fun extras to lie on.
Quality foundations are essential and life changing if you are struggling with what to wear on a regular basis. I recommend investing in the best your budget will allow when it comes to essential pieces. Once you find the right ones, they will get more wear than other piece in your closet – so you’ll want them to last.
10 Essential Pieces For Any Wardrobe
As always, I encourage you to create what works for your lifestyle, with items in your closet. My style tends to be a mix of eclectic and classic; modify to your comfort level.
- Legging: My pick is a faux leather pair. This piece can be anything from ponte to suede, pick one you love.
- Jean: I chose a step crop straight leg as this is my go-to for everyday. When I want to be more casual, it’s a boyfriend jean. Going out I grab my dark wash flares. As a basic, select the one that fits you best and works for your lifestyle.
- Long Sleeve Layer Tee: I prefer a longer length, long sleeve tee (not 3/4 sleeve) in a thin weight for easy layering. The longer length pairs with a jean, legging, skirt or layer it under a LBD.
- Your Perfect White Shirt: As with my layer tee, I opt for a longer length.
- LBD: I prefer a midi length sleeveless style, which allows me the option to layer blouses, tees and knits under the dress for a wear-to-work look. Wear it alone with the wrap, for a night on the town.
- Black Skirt: Pick a length and style that work for YOU, the possibilities are endless.
- Cashmere or look of cashmere wrap: If a cashmere piece is in your budget I say splurge on this one. I wear mine as a wrap, scarf, muffler which doubles as a blanket on the airplane.
- Bootie: This key piece must work with YOUR bottoms. Mine is a mid-boot because I prefer step crop or crop jeans along with midi length skirts. If your jean of choice is a skinny jean, you may want a lower shaft which allows your hem to lie on top of the bootie. The heel height is all about your personal comfort level is. For everyday, I prefer to stay at about a 2 1/2″ heel max.
- Beautiful Handbag: I love beautiful quality handbags, I think the right one can make an outfit. If leather is not your thing, there are many gorgeous vegan options available.
- (2) Foundation Layering Pieces: Because of the built-in bra, I love UNIQLO HeatTech camis under just about all my winter pieces. These are not compression or shaper pieces, but they do smooth things out under tees and blouses, and keep me warm in the winter months. To read more on HeatTech and view other available styles, click (HERE).
5 Essential Extras
- Belt: If you don’t own a BELTAWAY no-show belt you need one, trust me!
- Basic Earring: Stud or hoop in silver or gold
- Necklace: My pick is a pendant in silver or gold – it’s nice to have a matching set.
- Boot Socks: that work with YOUR boots.
- Black Tights: I prefer a bit of control top, they stay up better!
- Long Cardigan, Tunic Sweater, Long Vest
- Pullover Sweater in a Flattering Length for your body type
- Tweed or Leather Jacket
- Faux Fur or Quilted Vest
5 Easy Cold Weather Outfit Ideas:
- Legging+Long Sleeve Tee+Bootie/Boot+ Add-On (Poncho)
- Legging+White Tunic Shirt+Booties+ Add-On (long faux fur vest)
- Jean+White Shirt+Booties+ Add-On (Short Sleeve Cashmere Tee or Fitted Cashmere Pullover)
- LBD+Long Sleeve Layer Tee+TIghts+ Bootie+Wrap
- Jean+UNIQLO Cami+Pullover Cozy Knit Sweater (in any length that works for you, read more on finding the sweater for your body type in this archived post, HERE)
Pulling it all Together
Today’s look began with 7 items from my set of core pieces below. Once my uniform was together, I simply added a tunic sweater and printed scarf as my “sprinkles”. The exact 7 pieces, with different “sprinkles” would result in an entirely different look.
Core Pieces: (1) Step Crop Straight Leg Jean with DIY hem, Pilcro | (2) HeatTech Shelf Bra Cami, UNIQLO | (3) Mid Boot, AGL, Nordstrom | (4) Large Tote Handbag, Michael Kors | (5) Basic Silver Sterling Hoops | (6) Boot Sock, Hue | (7) Beltaway Flat Belt, Amazon
Sprinkles: (1) J Crew Tie Waist Boatneck Tunic Sweater in Heather Olive. Runs large, orchid color now on sale (HERE) | Printed Wool Oversized Scarf/Wrap, DVF (thrifted)
Do you find it easy or difficult to get out the door in the morning? Do you feel you have created a workable closet? Have you identified core pieces in your closet? Do you think you might be missing a key piece to maximize your wardrobe?
Let’s Get Social and Don’t miss a Post!
You can find me on Instagram (HERE), Facebook (HERE)…be sure to hit that “like” button, you know you want to, so just do it, or Facebook won’t share! Twitter (HERE), Pinterest (HERE), Bloglovin and now You Tube (HERE)
Where I Link Up! Not Dressed As a Lamb| Fashion Should Be Fun| My Refined Style| Sheela Writes | Style Stories |Visible Monday|40 Plus Style | Style Me Wednesday | On the Edge | PinkSole | Posh Classy Mom Midweek Inspo Linkup | Top of the World Style Link Up Party @HighLatitudeStyle | sincerelyjennamarie
I invite you to follow me in My Life Outside the Closet on Facebook (HERE) where I partner up with my husband and business partner Rick Bell in the world of Silicon Valley Real Estate! And don’t forget to hit that little ‘Like’ button for our real estate updates!