They make your legs look longer and add curves to your shape, yet styling flare or bootcut jeans can be intimidating for some of us, and we just stay away from the style. But, if you are looking for an excuse to break away from your skinnies, join me as we take a look at which style of flare bottoms flatter the different body types along with a few tips on how to style them.
Suzanne’s Tips For Styling Flare Jeans:
- No floods please. In order to make your legs look longer, the hem must graze the ground – think Rachel Zoe!
- To maximize the elongating effect of this style, I suggest pairing your jeans with heels. If you want to wear flats, go with a skinny, crop baby boot or straight leg jean.
- ASB STYLE TIP: It’s all about balance! When you opt for full on bottom, go fitted on top OR when your bottom is fitted, go full on top. If you prefer to go fitted on top and bottom, consider adding a 3rd piece like a kimono, a hip-grazing cardigan, duster, blazer or jacket to give your outfit a more polished look.
- The idea of the flare jean is to elongate and add curves to your shape. Keep this silhouette in mind, when you are working with how to style your bottom.
What Are The Best Flare Jeans For My Body Type?
- Curvy/Pear (weight in hips thighs and rear) Look for fits that are form-fitting in the butt, thighs and all the way down to the middle of your knees. DO aim for a bigger bell that flares out and almost covers your shoes. This will create an hourglass shape as well as smooth and elongate your legs. Pair your bottom with a blouse, belt, and cropped jacket. Consider black or dark denim as a color.
- Apple/Narrow Hips (top heavy, narrow from the waist down) fuller flares to balance out your narrow lower half. Choose styles that are figure hugging at the waist to help accentuate those curves. Try wide-leg styles, ie: bell-bottoms or palazzos to give your body a more proportional appearance and also complement those lovely long legs.
- Round (weight in the tummy/busty) Look for a bootcut or a smaller flare style. You look great in skinny jeans, so go with a flare that is tight and fitted to the top of the calf – then flares out. Consider a mid-rise style to give your torso a longer look. Pair your jeans with a loose fitting top – tucked out.
- Rectangle: Hips are the same measurement as waist and bust. Flares look great as they add curves to your straight body. And if you are tall, go for a wide flare. If you are shorter, go for more of a boot cut or small flare as to not overwhelm you.
- Petite: go with a boot cut that grazes the floor and style it with a heel. A high waist style (unless you are short waisted) will add even more length.
What I Wore: 5 Styling Ideas For Flare and Bootcut Jeans
Being a rectangle shape, flare jeans are my friend, adding curves to my very straight up and down body type. Here are a few looks at how I’ve styled mine. How do you wear yours?
1. Casual Night Out
For an easy night out look; pair your flares with heeled booties or heeled sandals. A leather jacket adds polish.
2. Day to Night
A colorful blazer adds polish for daytime. Head on over to cocktails with the girls by simply removing the jacket or adding a leather jacket as shown above.
3. Boho Chic: Creative Work Environment
Free People Super Wide Flare Jeans (HERE), paired with a silk blouse, long vest, and heeled mules.
4. Casual Daytime Look
A fitted tie front top creates the illusion of a waist, wooden heeled platform clogs and height.
5. Everyday Casual Look, Featuring the Bootcut Jean
Have you worn bootcut or flare jeans? What are your favorite brand or styles? How to you like to style yours? Drop us a line down below and have a fabulous weekend ladies!
Let’s Get Social!
I invite you to follow me on Facebook @AskSuzanne (HERE), where I share various topics, musings, tips and sale alerts not always covered here on the blog. For outfit ideas, follow me on INSTAGRAM (HERE). You will also find me on Twitter (HERE), Pinterest (HERE).
Looking to meet more stylish women and link up your looks?
Visit: Not Dressed As a Lamb (Saturday/Monday) / Sharing a Journey (Friday) / Visible Monday (Monday)/ Elegantly Dressed and Stylish (Tuesday) /MummaBStylish (Thursdays)| Shelbee on the Edge (HERE) / Stylish Mondays, the first Monday of each month, here, on AskSuzanneBell.com.