Boot toppers add a little spice and warmth to a dull winter outfit. Sure, you can go pick up a pair on Etsy or Free People, but isn’t it a bit more rewarding and green to get your crafty side on and make a pair yourself?
Like scarves, boot toppers add warmth and style to your look. But have you ever tried to zip up your boots with big ‘ole chunky socks in them? It’s a struggle for sure. Boot toppers will give you the LOOK of chunky socks without the bulk. And did you know you can make your own boot toppers from recycled clothing?
Let’s get out an old sweater along with a pair of old socks and work up a couple of fab boot toppers.
Boot Toppers from a Thrifted Sweater
If you don’t want to want to cut the sleeves off an old sweater, pop on over to your local thrift store.
Scan the sweaters for interesting arms – that’s all you need to be concerned with. Try the arm over your leg to ensure the arm is wide enough. Yes, people working in the store may give you funny looks, pay them no mind – you’re on a mission! After selecting the pattern I thought would work back with colors in my closet, I was out the door!
Assembling your Boot Toppers
** The cuff is what sticks out of the top of your boot **
- Cut at the shoulder seam. You can cut the length later at a place-based how much “sock” you want to stick out of your boot ( I trimmed mine down to 14″)
- Hem the raw edge using a sewing machine zig-zag stitch to prevent unraveling.
- Don’t own a needle and thread? Don’t hem it. It is inside your boot anyway so if it unravels a bit, no one is going to see it.
- Go out and rock your boots with a little more sass!
Option #2 Easiest method ever…old socks
- The top of the old sock is what sticks out of your boot. Cut the length based on how much knit you want sticking out of your boot. I choose 13″ inches. There is no science to the number 13, it just looked right and gave me enough room to scrunch them. When in doubt go longer, you can always shorten later.
- Hem as above.
- Lazy Girl 101 Method..don’t hem ’em Yep that’s right. I didn’t hem mine and they are still going strong at 2 years. Do they shed a little bit of yarn here and there, sure, but whatever. I don’t wash them because they don’t get dirty, and the raw edge is tucked into my boot. Look, if you need a boot topper in a flash, start to finish you are done in under 5 minutes!
Just cut them in half, hem as above!
Do you ever wear Boot Toppers? Have you ever made a pair yourself from re-purposed items in your closet? Drop me a line down below. I’d love to hear what you think, have seen, or have tried!
Looking for more?
I invite you to hop on over at the updated AskSuzanneBell.com home page and take a look around. There you will find a few new categories as well as old favorites. I’d love to get some feedback on what you think of the new site. New categories include a “Shop” page featuring Blog favorites in the following categories, with others to be added shortly.
- Shop my BEAUTY ESSENTIALS (HERE)
- Shop my FASHION picks (HERE)
- Shop my SHOES AND ACCESSORY picks (HERE)
And don’t miss the Stylish Monday Coat Post featuring how 12 bloggers from around the globe style their own coats – for all climates (including Alaska!). (PRESS HERE) to read the full post.
Enjoy your weekend, stay cozy, stay safe!