Nothing to wear? Totally uninspired with your closet? Feeling frumpy and out of date?
Time to inject some life back into your wardrobe!
Best part, it’s easier than you think and doesn’t require an entire wardrobe overhaul!
Wardrobe Refresh in 4 Easy Steps
- Step one – Clean out your closet! AskSuzanneBell tips and inspiration to get you going HERE – ditch the stuff you no longer wear!
- Step two – Make a list of what needs replacing; for example your basic whites that are now yellowing -out with old and in with the new! With the help of some very Savvy Chicks I rounded up a list of favorite white tees in this post HERE
- Step three – Make a Wish/Checklist (this is the fun part!). Pick a few on trend items that you are dying to add to your closet. By this I mean a few great pieces, that are currently in season that will work with what you already have and add some sass to what you already own. Make a list and keep it with you while you shop. I find when I have my list on my phone it’s is a constant reminder of what I really need and helps me not purchase items I may already own or don’t need just because I like the color or it is a good deal.
- Step Four- Once you pick up a fun new piece, before you take the tags off, try it on in the comfort of your own home. My guide is if I can’t make at least 3 great outfits with my new item, back to the store it goes – it must work with items I already have. If I can’t make it work with items I already have, most likely it won’t get any wear. I have this situation going right now with a denim sheath I picked up. I love it, but I have yet to figure our what shoes and accessories to wear with it. It’s also sleeveless so to wear it to work or in the evening which is where I would be wearing it I need some sort of jacket which I do not currently own. It gets one more week in my closet and if I can’t figure it out, back it will go.
So I realize I shop earlier than most for any given season and that many of you are just getting going on Spring, heck some of you still have snow (so sorry). This routine stems from my career in retail – it just happens so I go with it.
That said I have had my Spring Wishlist ready since mid-January.
Knowing I had a few events already on the calendar, this is what my checklist looked like:
- Fun cocktail dress that I absolutely love
- Kimono/caftan style maxi dress
- Maxi dress that can go day to night
- Spring weight long vest or trench dress in black to wear alone, layered or with pants – for work and beyond
- Patent block heel sandal that is a knock off of my girlfriends Prada sandal I love
- Wedge black sandal to wear anywhere – must be comfortable and walkable
- A neutral fun clutch for when black is too heavy to replace my straw one that has lived a full life
- A shirtdress
- A black jumpsuit that can be worn day to night
- White denim jacket
- The perfect nude nail polish that works with my skin tone
Here’s a look of what I’ve added to my closet
Clockwise from top left: Halston Heritage cocktail dress (Last Call) | Filtre Kimono Maxi Dress (Nordstrom) this print is sold out, but a new print is available HERE | Young Fabulous and Broke Day to Night ‘Bryton’ Maxidress (Nordstrom Rack), the black is sold out but I did find a few on Ebay and same dress different print over at Last Call | Bryton Gathered Dress was $207.00 now $83.30 in Navy
Two versatile pieces for work- Ann Taylor trench dress now 40% off $139.00 with code 40foryou| Haute Hippie soft trench, can be worn as a dress or topper (Last Call) similar on sale at AnnTaylor
Sesto Meucci Block Heel Patent Sandal, also in white (Last Call) | Christopher Kon Neutral Clutch, extra 30% off this weekend, now $66.00 was $210.00(Last Call) | Coach 70’s Wedge Sandal now on sale for $169.00 (Nordstrom) and just found at BELKS for $136.50! HERE | Alexis Bittar lucite earrings (Nordstrom Rack)
Parker Jumpsuit (Nordstrom) | Gap linen shirtdress, now on sale for $56.00 plus an additional 30% off with code APRIL |J Brand White Denim Jacket (JBrand.com) | Nude Nail Polish (NailsInc ‘Uptown’ and Opi ‘Tanacious Spirit’ )
I am happy to report that all these pieces are working great for me this season, lets take a look how I have been wearing them:
All photos are up for view on my Instagram Feed @AskSuzanneBell
Black Jumpsuit and Soft Trench
These photos show the versatility of both pieces. I have worn this soft trench as a work piece as well as after 5 with my jumpsuit. The jumpsuit can be worn for cocktails or even with flat metallic sandals for daytime wear. Get the AskSuzanneBell lowdown on jumpsuits HERE and HERE. I already own a black clutch but was looking for something to lighten up my looks and this one by Christopher Kon fit the bill as it works with white to black and loads of prints in between. Great with denim as well. The tan in my Sesto Meucci Sandals pulls the purse together with any look. How about my little photo bomber?
I had this on my wish list since spotting it in InStyle magazine a few months back and grabbed it up during one of Ann Taylor’s promos that they offer on a regular basis. The photo on the right is a dressing room shot but I have worn for work (left) with wide leg pants as well as out to dinner with my Sesto Meucci sandals pictured above. I wore it twice this week alone. I want to try it with white pants that I don’t own yet, next. Links to this dress along with other shirt dresses can be viewed HERE
Filtre Kimono Maxi Dress
In need of a festive dress for a Palm Springs party this fit the bill perfectly. I love the kimono sleeve and bright colors! Best part was I already owned all the accessories – winner! Can’t wait for another fun occasion to wear it again.
Yes, not originally on my list BUT for some reason these were speaking to me (that happens sometimes). I kept the tags on, showed them to a few girlfriends and found they were matching everything I loved in my closet – a keeper!
I am loving nude polish right now but the trick is finding the right one for your skin tone.
NailsInc ‘Uptown’ is a pink nude and Opi ‘Tanacious Spirit’ – still on the hunt for a shimmery one for summer.
Gap Linen Shirtdress and JBrand White Denim Jacket
It took ALOT of tries to get the right shirtdress. What I found is I needed one without a collar and it could not be stiff. I love the weight of this one from Gap. It’s currently at the tailor having the belt dropped and inch to give it a better fit for me (worth the $6.00 for sure to get the right fit!) My white denim jacket is getting lots of wear, for more on finding the right denim jacket click HERE
Coach 70’s Chic Mule, YFB Maxi Dress
I just added these mules to my closet 2 weeks ago and am loving them. For more on the Hellena mule check out this post HERE from earlier this week. Working these in with existing items was easy and I am so glad I purchased them – an instant update to any outfit!
Now, for items still on my wish list:
- A billowy blouse – to wear with denim as well as skirts
- A new denim bottom: distressed jeans, palazzo jeans or 70’s flair in an updated wash
- (yes, you are correct in noticing that in the above photo I am wearing distressed Citizens of Humanity jeans and a billowy shirt. These both still have the tags on them as I need to decide if my search is over – still not sure. Pop back on Wednesday for the big denim round-up on AskSuzanneBell)
- An ugly sandal ( I can’t decide which one and this is one that can wait)
- A white swing tee and if I find the right fit one in black as well. Can’t be see through, too tight or ill fitting
- A new pant for work, possibly a pair of white or black cropped wide legs – need an update!
- Long boho statement cardigan
- Layered necklace in gold
- A fun kimono
Anyone else out there find when you buy on the fly you often end up with items you don’t wear? Buy just because it is on sale?
Anyone find making a checklist helpful?
Remember it’s YOUR list, what you need and love – a closet that you are happy to walk into everyday, not one that brings your down. Who needs that?
Have something to share, drop a comment down below!
Don’t forget, Sunday 4/19 Lilly for Target! Check out my favorites HERE
You know that kimono is on my wish list!
Pop back on Wednesday, we’re talking denim, all kinds of denim – reviews, trends and styling on AskSuzanneBell, be sure to stop back and take a look – especially if a denim update is on YOUR list!
A Quick Note on www.AskSuzanneBell.com
Looking for a past post on beauty reviews, stuff for tweens, everyday style or dressing room reviews? Find these, plus my Instagram slide show of daily outfits, current pins on Pinterest, sales events and happenings all on the AskSuzanneBell.com website home page HERE.
Interested in home renovation? Don’t miss taking a peek at my Home Portfolio which features a few of our personal home flip projects! HERE (there are some good ones here!)
Looking for more Outfit Inspiration?
Follow me on Instagram where I post daily. You can find me as @AskSuzanneBell.
Don’t want to miss a post?
Subscribe to receive a new AskSuzanneBell post delivered straight to your inbox on Wednesday and Saturday’s. Subscribe box is located in the top right corner of my home page.
NOTE: I know we all love our mobile devices, but the www.AskSuzanneBell.com website is significantly more robust than the mobile version and includes much more content to check out!
Come take a look around!
Thanks for stopping by, perhaps I will see you at Target on Sunday!
Rose Frey says
Hi, this is Rose from Instagram. What a great informational post!! I ordered the Gap chambray dress last week and should be receiving it any day. I also love a billowy shirt with denim. I love how all styles of denim are back! Great for creating different looks. So glad I found you on Instagram!!
Hi Rose! So great to see you here and happy we met on Instagram! What I like about that dress is that it is lightweight and there is no collar to fuss with! I am short waisted so I did pay $6.00 to move the belt loops down an inch – just in case you find yourself messing with the belt, it is an easy fix to get it to sit on your own waist 🙂 I too am loving denim! I just picked up a really cute denim crop blazer/jacket with the matching sheath at Ann Taylor (sold out online but I picked one up in the store) that I am wearing to work as a “suit” and after work wearing the blazer with a jumpsuit and skirts. Super versatile! Look for those looks on Instagram soon! Denim is my new fave! Have a great Sunday and thanks for dropping a comment! I love hearing from readers! XO