It’s been over 5 years and 500+ articles since “Hey Fall, Whatcha Got For Me”, was published on AskSuzanneBell.com. And thanks to all of you, this little space on the web continues to evolve as a space for women of all ages come together to collaborate, learn and share on all things style. Whether you are new or have been with me since the beginning, I want to thank each and every one of you for being the best group of readers a gal could wish for!
Did you know that many of the posts you read here at AskSuzanneBell.com are inspired by actual reader inquiries? It’s true. My followers on social media are really good at asking questions, which often takes me down a research path and writing a blog post.
Here’s a look at 5 frequently asked readers questions, along with style solutions – in the event you have the same inquiries, but didn’t think to ask.
1. Where do you shop?
I love to thrift, so my first stop is always my local thrift store. Locally, I shop at Repeter Los Altos, Millie Mango Burlingame, and Fillmore and 5th Palo Alto. My go-to for online thrifting is ThredUp (HERE). For designer and special occasion pieces, I like clothing rental services like Rent The Runway. From there, I shop at Nordstrom, Anthropologie, Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, pop-up shops or local boutiques.
You’ll find more of my shopping tips – from designer to second hand, by visiting these AskSuzanneBell.com archived posts:
- How to Find Designer Finds at Thrift Store Prices | HERE
- Thrifty Tips for Shopping Second Hand | HERE
- A New Way to Thrift – A Road Trip to the ThredUp Boutique in Walnut Creek | HERE
- How to Host Your Own Clothing Swap | HERE
2. Can you offer a few suggestions on how to wear flare pants?
Flare pants are designed to elongate and add curves to your shape. Maximize this lengthening effect, by allowing the hemline to graze the ground and wear a shoe with a heel.
- Curvy/Pear (weight in hips thighs and rear) Look for fits that are form-fitting in the butt, thighs and all the way down to the middle of your knees. Aim for a bigger bell that flares out and almost covers your shoes. This will create an hourglass shape as well as smooth and elongate your legs. Pair your bottom with a blouse, belt, and cropped jacket.
- Apple/Narrow Hips (top-heavy, narrow from the waist down) fuller flares will balance out your narrow lower half. Choose styles that are figure-hugging at the waist to help accentuate those curves. Try wide-leg styles: bell-bottoms or palazzos to give your body a more proportional appearance and complement those lovely long legs.
- Round (weight in the tummy/busty) Look for either a bootcut or small flare style. You look great in skinny jeans so go with a flare that is tight and fitted to the top of the calf – then flares out. Try a mid-rise style to give your torso a longer look. Pair with a loose-fitting top – tucked out.
- Rectangle: (hips are the same measurement as waist and bust). Flares are your friend, adding curves to your straight body. And if you are tall, go for a wide flare. If you’re short, go for a boot cut or small flare – as to not overwhelm your petite frame.
- Petite: go with a boot cut that grazes the floor and style it with a heel. A high waist style (unless you are short-waisted) will add length.
Read more on how to style flare and boot cut jeans in the AskSuzanneBell.com archived posts:
- The Best Flare Jeans For Your Body Type | HERE.
- Swishy Fringe Duster + Flare Jeans Outfit | HERE
- Shirtdress + Flare Jeans Outfit Ideas | HERE
3. How do I style a knit top?
For us gals over 40, ruching is your friend. To create a ruching effect with a regular tee, knit top or sweater, I use the ½ tuck method.
- Option 1: Twist the front hem, then tuck it in where you find it most flattering – either at the belt or to one side. Adding the belt will keep you pants where they are supposed to sit, thus making your jeans more flattering in the behind.
- Option 2: Tuck the front and back of your tee – but leave the sides tucked out.
- Option 3: Knot your tee with a rubber band, then adjust your top for a flattering look.
- Option 4: WATCH: How to Tuck a Shirt, Tee or Sweater in this YouTube Tutorial (HERE).
4. What color shoes do I wear with different color pants?
Though I feel there really is no right or wrong answer here, there are a few guides circulating out on the web that might be helpful, if you are not sure where to begin. THIS (Click to LINK) guide by Corporette.com blog is helpful, though I disagree with their take on metallic. In my opinion, metallic and animal print shoes will work back to just about anything – if that is your style personality (take the quiz below!). I do agree with the following statement:
…I’d say that the question also depends on the kind of pants — which color shoes you choose to wear with ankle pants or straight pants matters much less because there’s a stretch of skin; it isn’t a seamless look; on the other hand for a full-length trouser that is closer to the floor (generally a wide leg, flare, or bootcut style) you’re going to get a leg-lengthening effect if you choose the same color shoe and continue the line. – Corporette.com
What’s your Style Personality?
I found (THIS) FREE quiz and tutorial from DressingYourTruth.com extremely helpful, if you are looking to discover more about your own Personal Style. When you understand your Style Personality, selecting accessories, shoes, even your hairstyle become easy. Give it a try, I was surprised at my results! I’m a Type 1, what are you?
5. How do I clean thrifted clothing?
For this question, I will refer you to a true Master of Thrift (and fabulous vintage style), Canadian blogger, Suzanne Carillo. In her post, How to Clean Thrifted Clothes, Suzanne reminds us that thrift and consignment stores do not clean the clothes they receive.
Unless you see a new dry-cleaning tag on the clothing or the original tags are still attached, that item has been worn by someone else and should always be washed prior to wearing. Quite frankly, even if you see a dry cleaning tag on the item or new tags I would still suggest cleaning it as you don’t know where it has been – Suzanne Carillo
Did you find this post helpful? Would you like to see more of these types of posts in the future? Perhaps you have a style or beauty question you’d like answered. Drop us a line in the comments down below or message me directly via my contact form (HERE), Facebook or Instagram…I’d love to hear what you are thinking!
Have fabulous weekend friends!
The ASB Fall Style Guide is now LIVE!
Full of tips on how to assess your wardrobe once you’ve cleaned out your closet space, how to create a shopping list, my fall trend predictions and my list of 5 items that could easily be added in with what you already own – The AskSuzanneBell Style Guide – updated for FW2019 | can be viewed (HERE).
LET’S GET SOCIAL!
Follow AskSuzanneBell on Facebook and stay up to date on all the happenings between posts! I invite you to join the fun by following my Facebook Page @AskSuzanne (HERE). You will find I post daily to Facebook, often sharing on topics not covered here on the blog.
For Lifestyle, Bay Area Living, and all things Real Estate related, you’ll find I publish weekly articles that you won’t find here, at RickandSuzanneBell.com | HERE.